Tuesday, December 11, 2012

my cookie recipe

This post is for everyone who ever asked me about my cookie recipe. I got this recipe from the mom of one of my friends, Joyce Lasse. It's basically a variation of the recipe on the back of a bag of Hershey's baking chips. Here's what you'll need:





3 cups flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 sticks salted sweet cream butter, melted
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 8oz packages of baking chips


I start by melting the butter in the microwave, then I add all of the dry ingredients (minus the baking chips) into a large bowl and mix them. Then I turn the oven to 360.


After that I add the eggs and vanilla to the butter and beat it until mixed, and then mix that into the dry ingredients. 



I use my hands for this part. It helps to break up any clumps of brown sugar, and it's much easier to mix in the chips with your hands. Plus, it's fun!


Occasionally I'll need to add a little more flower if the dough looks too greasy, but this batch was perfect. For some reason when I double the recipe, I usually end up having to add as much as a cup of flour. 


Once I'm sure that the dough doesn't need more flour, I add the chips. 


Sometimes it can take a few minutes to get it all mixed in, since this recipe has an unusually high chips to dough ratio.


Then I roll them into balls and put them on the baking sheet. These cookies don't flatten out very much when they bake, so I can fit 16 on a baking sheet. I bake them for about 7 minutes. They still look really soft when I take them out of the oven, but once they cool they'll be harder.




Voila! Cookies! One recipe makes about 45 cookies. Also, they will harden if you leave them out for too long, so I'm always careful to put them in the cookie jar before they cool completely. In this batch I used a bag of white chocolate chips and a bag of milk chocolate Heath bar bits, which is most people's favorite. I've also tried plain chocolate chip, white chocolate butterscotch, white chocolate peanut butter, chocolate chip peanut butter, M&M, and Andes mint. Everything I've tried has tasted awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment