Saturday, February 23, 2013

swiffer duster refills

I'm in the middle of making a slipcover for our couch. I've been working all week just to get one couch cushion done, so I needed a little break. I decided to sew something easy and confidence-boosting this morning before getting back to the slipcover. I found these a while ago on Pinterest, and I had some fleece leftover from making something this fall, so I made one! These duster refills are really easy to make and always useful, so I figured I'd put my tutorial on here in case anyone else is interested. 


Here's what you'll need:
If you don't have the rotary cutter and quilting ruler, don't worry! Scissors work just as well. The tea is optional.

I laid the duster handle on the fleece and decided that 6 inches wide would be good.
 Cut off the extra...
 Once I had the width I wanted, I cut four 8 inch long rectangles. 
 I took one and traced where I would need to sew with chalk. 
Then I cut an inch off the bottom so that the handle can slide in a little farther, since that's how the disposable dusters work. 
Lay the top piece on top of the second piece, pin, and sew.
 I didn't cut the thread until I was done, I just turned the fabric and back-stitched in the middle section. 
It fits! (Actually, I was having problems with it falling off the handle so later on I made the openings about half as wide.)
 Then I pinned the other two pieces to the bottom and sewed down the middle. 
 Top view:
 Bottom view:
 I rounded out the top corners and started clipping the fleece into strips. 
The top two rows couldn't be clipped as far as the bottom two, so I turned it over and clipped the bottom in a little farther. 
 Ta-da!

 It works (and I really needed to dust)!
Now I'm going to get back to the slipcover. I'll post more on it and our trip to Louisville, KY last week soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment