Tuesday, May 7, 2013

blue dress refashion


While Cara was here last weekend, we went shopping at a local thrift store. I got this dress for $4. It's a size 14, which is giant on me. I bought it, along with a white button-up shirt that is my size, so that I could use all of that pretty blue fabric to make something I could wear. 



I used one of my dresses to decide how long to cut the skirt. 


 Snip!


I folded the skirt in half, and sewed right down the middle, because the skirt was big enough that half of it would work for me. 


Again, I snipped the extra fabric off of the skirt.


Here's the shirt that I bought. I wanted it to be short sleeved, so I cut off the sleeves & hemmed them.



I ironed down the edge of the skirt & added elastic & hemmed it at the same time.




I marked on the shirt where I wanted it to meet the skirt.


 I pinned the skirt & shirt together & sewed.



I snipped off the extra shirt material.



Then added a belt, & voila! A cute dress that's the right size for me. And the best part is, I still have about 3/4 of that dress left, so that's two sewing projects for under $10!



1 comment:

  1. VERY impressive work! You have quite the talent and creativity!

    ReplyDelete